A Jacksonville man is in critical condition after four dogs attacked him Friday evening. The dogs were described by the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office as four large vicious pit bulls. The forty year-old victim was walking along Pacetti Street when the dogs escaped from a chain link fence. The dog's inflicted numerous severe dog bites on the victim. Owning four large dogs places the owner in a position of greater responsibility to protect others. Studies show when more than one dog is in a household the risk of dog bite injuries increases. This is truly a tragic situation for this man and his family. Below we have listed a few basic Dog Bite Prevention Tips.
Preventing dog bites
Basic safety tips
- Remain motionless (e.g., "be still like a tree") when approached by an unfamiliar dog.
- Curl into a ball with your head tucked and your hands over your ears and neck if a dog knocks you over.
- Children, immediately let an adult know about stray dogs or dogs that are behaving strangely.
- Approach an unfamiliar dog.
- Run from a dog.
- Panic or make loud noises.
- Disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
- Pet a dog without allowing it to see and sniff you first.
- Encourage your dog to play aggressively.
- Let small children play with a dog unsupervised.